UbuntuExpress status: update

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 10 12:16:26 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:28:32PM +0200, Javier Carranza wrote:
> On mié, 2005-08-10 at 02:28 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > You did not mention where the packages could be found.
>
>         We're very sorry about our lack of communication about this
> point. I'm uploading three binaries _all_ package for ubuntu to my
> personal corporative repository several minutes ago. You'll be able to
> try them at:
>
> # Ubuntu Express packages
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/ubuntu-express_0.1_all.deb
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/ubuntu-express-frontend-gtk_0.1_all.deb
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/ubuntu-express-ubuntu-artwork_0.1_all.deb
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/ubuntu-express-ubuntu-doc_0.1_all.deb

One problem with this package is that it has a version number lower than the
one currently in the Ubuntu archive (0.3).  This should be easily fixable,
but in the future please ensure that your packages are suitable for Ubuntu.
Our goal, if we are to attempt to release your ubuntu-express with Breezy,
should be to have the packages in our archive tomorrow.  This is a very
aggressive target given its status, but we will see what can be accomplished
in this time.

> # Modified gparted to get it works into Ubuntu Express
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/gparted_0.0.8+cvs2005061901-0uda1_powerpc.deb
>
> # Merged partman into one deb package
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/partman_1.0ubuntu0_powerpc.deb
>
>         Sorry for these powerpc package, but it's the only arch I have
> available right now. You can get source package at:
>
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/partman_68ubuntu1.tar.gz
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/partman_68ubuntu1.dsc

mizar:[/tmp] dpkg-source -x partman_68ubuntu1.dsc
dpkg-source: error: syntax error in source control file ./partman_68ubuntu1.dsc at line 2: line with unknown format (not field-colon-value)
zsh: exit 9     dpkg-source -x partman_68ubuntu1.dsc
mizar:[/tmp] file partman_68ubuntu1.*
partman_68ubuntu1.dsc:    gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
partman_68ubuntu1.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression

The .dsc seems to be another copy of the .tar.gz, and the .dsc is missing.

Also, this package claims to be partman 68ubuntu1, but the version currently
in Breezy is partman 68ubuntu1, and your version is different.

> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/gparted_0.0.8+cvs2005061901-0uda1.diff.gz
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/gparted_0.0.8+cvs2005061901-0uda1.dsc
> http://interactors.coop/~trunks/installer/gparted_0.0.8+cvs2005061901.orig.tar.gz
>
> > Feature freeze is tomorrow, and simplicity is the best way to meet our
> > deadlines.  The simple approach is to use a single package, so I would
> > prefer this for the initial drop.
>
>         All the branding stuff is yet working at all, and revert these
> changes assume more useless work. I believe this is more optimal at this
> moment.

If it is able to install Ubuntu, I will be pleased with it.  Have you been able
to test this yet?

> > So currently, there is no working boot loader or partitioning
> > functionality? If so, this does not bode well for feature freeze
> > (tomorrow).
>
>         boot loader functionality is longer developed and almost
> finished but isn't functional at this time. partman integration is under
> development at this point and we hope to get it works very soon. partman
> package is now very uncleanly, but we have to consider what partman
> modules we need to include for our purposes and merge them.

Can you explain in more detail?  Changes to the installer packages for this
purpose should be discussed with the installer team to agree on the best
course of action.  If the implementation does not meet the requirements of
the installer team, we won't be able to merge it in time for the freeze.

--
 - mdz