Startup needs overhaul

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 05:39:37 CDT 2005

Hasn't Red Hat been doing this for a while?  Not sure about this, so I
could be wrong.  But I do remember reading a post on a mailing list or
forum from one of the Red Hat devs about doing this that was a few
years old (2002/3?).
The general idea was to identify dependency chains in the init
scripts.  Then run multiple dependency chains simultaneously.  So, for
example there are clearly things that are not dependent on networking,
so they could go ahead and initialize while networking is waiting on a
dhcp lease.
Not sure if this could be done without major changes to init itself,
though.  I'm thinking that init could fire off a master script that
would manage the rest of the scripts.
It may be worth looking into whether Red Hat or anyone else has been
doing this already and how...

Zach

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=18267488