FindingPackages status

Niran Babalola iamniran at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 07:47:18 CDT 2005

I'm not going to be at the BreezyGoals meeting, so I'll provide some
information on my progress here. The changes to gnome-app-install are
so unbelieavably close to being done, but I really need sleep before I
add the 20 or so lines of code needed to finish it up.

There are still two more goals left for the spec. The first is
allowing programs to be installed from a Launchpad web page. I'd like
to provide a broader solution for this that would work for Launchpad
and for developers who want to provide an installation link on their
webpage to install the program directly from the official
repositories. Work needs to be done on the file format, and I need to
look into how registering new MIME types works. I'll probably need a
bit of help with the file format, and I've put up a wiki page with
what I have so far: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallationFileFormat .
Any comments would be appreciated.

The second remaining goal is to patch Nautilus to allow the user to
install a program to open files with unknown MIME types. Since
gnome-app-install has .desktop files with all the MIME types at its
disposal (though those should probably be separated into their own
package at some point), it should be fairly easy to pass the MIME type
as an argument to gnome-app-install and present choices for the user
to pick from. I've looked a little at the nautilus code, but haven't
really done anything yet.

I think both of those should be able to be completed before feature freeze.

--
Niran Babalola
http://niran.org