X.Org is unbroken -- how to fix

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 5 04:06:32 CDT 2005

Hi all,
So.  X.Org in breezy has been partially broken for a couple of days.

Sort of.

A little.

So.

Scenario #1:
Your XKB is broken.  For some reason, you may be using a non-US-layout
keyboard.  If you were to do this, things may not work.  There are a
couple of things to do here:
  * Step one: sudo apt-get install xkbutils.
  * Step two: sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss
    /var/cache/apt/archives/xkeyboard-config_0.5-4_all.deb
You'll only need step two if you've been upgrading through breezy.
Upgrades from hoary should be fine.

Scenario #2:
You're missing lots of stuff that should be in xbase-clients or xutils.
  * Step one: sudo apt-get install xprop xrdb xauth xinit.
  * Step two: ...
  * Step three: profit!

Screnario #3:
Something else is broken.
  * Step one: file a bug.

Note that you must be using the absolute latest versions of everything
for this to work.  This means 6.8.2-44 for anything that comes from
xorg.  Really, it does.

And I think that should be it.  Random packages that used to be in
xutils and xbase-clients are still missing, but slowly creeping their
way back into the archive.  So, enjoy.  Any bugs you might experience
from hereon in are a figment of your imagination.  And I can prove this
mathematically if you ask.  So there.

Cheers,
Daniel