LTSP on Ubuntu

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Mon Apr 25 05:17:44 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:50:09AM -0400, Ozitraveller wrote:
> >
> > Skolelinux
> > http://www.skolelinux.org/portal/product/thinClients/document_view,
> > already does this, and it's Debian and LTSP based? And wouldn't
> > all/most of the packages be available in the Debian repositories?
>
> Do you have any pointers to information about how it works, or even how to
> use it?

I would be very happy to provide any help needed in getting this to
work. I have a lot of experience getting LTSP, and its redhat sibling
project K12LTSP, installed in schools in South Africa.

Briefly, the DHCP server is configured with "filename" and "root-path"
parameters, enabling a client to boot via PXE or etherboot. This means
no hard drive is necessary on the client.

The NFS-mounted root file system identified by "root-path" presents a
cut down linux filesystem, sufficient to run an X-server only.

Everybody (K12LTSP, Skolelinux, others) use LTSP as this cut down system.

The server should enable XDMCP in the X config, probably enable TCP
access to the fontserver, allow NFS for the clients.

Skolelinux uses LDAP for authentication, while K12LTSP uses passwd.

I strongly advise LDAP.

After booting, a standard X login to the server is provided, and is
indistinguishable from a regular X login on the server.

Cheers,    Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/
http://www.slug.org.za/