XXI century and still using 386 packages...

goofrider dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 19 15:23:57 CDT 2005

Molot Wrote:
> Actually, me & my friend(s) want to recompile all Ubuntu main repository
> to i686 + (propably) optimizations for athlon/duron. Then, we could
> measure the difference. Why we are doing this? There are 3 reasons:

> 1) We can.

> 2) Gentoo is good, but too many things can go wrong. And proper install
> needs fast internet connection and time that many people don't have. So
> making well optimised packages (and CD's maybe) for our favourite OS
> seems to be good idea.

> 3) We can.

> Thread with little technical question about the issue is 'here'
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=131906#post131906).

I'm glad that SOMEONE took the initiative the actually measure the
benefit of 686/K7 optimization on general code.

I still have a hunch that it won't be significant unless floating point
or multimedia (e.g. matrix ops and IDCT). But it'll be nice to have some
real evidences for supporters from both sides.

--
goofrider