Map some other function to the insert key

Aurélien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:58:46 CDT 2005

2005/4/19, Uphaar Agrawalla <euphaar at gmail.com>:
> On 4/19/05, Thom May <thom at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > * Yuan Qi (gmanenews.3.maxchee at spamgourmet.com) wrote :
> > > I hope everyone is aware of this:
> > > http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu
> > >
> > > One of the usability problems the author have mentioned in his article
> > > is the fact that the insert key is mapped to the overwrite mode. Since
> > > most computer users (even intermediate users) are not aware of this
> > > mode, they will be confused and frustrated by the software's "buggy"
> > > behaviour. Therefore, I suggest that we either map a different function
> > > to this key or just disable it. Personally, I think the Paste function
> > > is the most sensible function to be mapped to the insert key.
> > >

> > I hate to say it, but mpt's article occasionally fails to discern between
> > ideal UI and the real world. Given that we're a user-centric distribution,
> > our priority has to be *all* our users, not just the utter newbies who've
> > never touched a computer before. Caps Lock especially is used by a
> > surprising number of people; I know for a fact that both my parents, by way
> > of an example, use caps lock extensively and break into tears whenever they
> > use my computers that have ctrl:nocaps.
> > At most, we should disable the insert key entirely and leave Caps Lock
> > totally alone, however I think this is still going too far and that we
> > should leave both keys well alone.
> > Cheers,
> > -Thom
> >

> I totally agree with thom. My Dad uses Caps Lock key a lot. And I've
> seen several people use it. Even I find it useful sometimes.
>
> Please leave the Caps Lock key alone, it is used by a lot of people.
>
> Cheers.
>
> -ups

hi,

just to add even more to the many people asking to let caps lock
active: it's quite usefull on french keyboards to enter some
characters like É or È, on this key, shift gives only '2' and '7'...
:)
for the insert key, disabling it by default seems like a good idea,
I'm not the first to say so here but I've seen MANY non-techy people
getting crazy after having activated it incidently...

regards.

--
aurelien naldi