just curious: why no mention of GNU?

nocturn dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Wed Apr 13 01:07:39 CDT 2005

I understand the desire to use the term GNU/Linux, as GNU provides a lot
of the OS functions too.

But, it can be argued that Gnome/Xorg/KDE contribute just as much to
the functionality of the OS (at least as a desktop).  So using the term
KDE/Linux or Gnome/Linux is also accurate.
Then we start getting Ubuntu GNU/Xorg/Gnome/Linux 5.04.

I agree with Linus on this, Linux is an established and easy to
remember 'brand' name.  We need to establish some recognition to the
term by Joe sixpack.  GNU by itself would have been fine, but history
selected the term Linux.

--
nocturn