OT: Mark made my day!

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:52:53 CDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 8:13 AM, Ewan Mac Mahon <ewan at macmahon.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:28:13PM +0300, Peter Damoc wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:27:27 +0300, H. C. Brugmans <hcbrugmans at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> > >It's hilarious. :)
> >
> > It might be a little funny to you or me BUT looking from my mother's
> > perspective (about a year in using computers, over 50 years old) is not
> > that funny, perfectly valid points.
>
> He makes some valid points; Nautilus opening two icons on top of each
> other is definitely a bug, for example; however on my system it's a long
> since fixed bug, so I wonder if he's actually running Hoary released or
> an old devel snapshot. Some of the rest is debatable, like: "Items can't
> be renamed by clicking on their names and typing." - No, they can't, but
> how often do you want to rename files compared with how often you click
> on them? Whenever I hit that 'feature' in other systems it's never what
> I was trying to do and sometimes winds up with me renaming a perfectly
> good file to a daft random typing name. Some of the rest is just plain
> wrong, including:
>
> >"In Ubuntu, telling the computer to shut down takes me about 35 seconds:
> >choose "Log Out", wait about 25 seconds for the logout process, then
> >click "Shut Down" and confirm it in an alert."
>
> You can do that if you must, of course, but a sane person would just
> mark the 'Shutdown' option in the logout dialog and do it in one. There
> are plenty of other places where the computer's clearly trying to help
> but he's cocking it up anyway:
>
> >"Every day when I log in, I am presented not with the documents and Web
> >pages that I had open when I logged out the day before, but with the
> >documents and Web pages that I had open when I logged out on Monday
> >March 7th." followed by: "and I'm unlikely to find the solution without
> >help"
>
> He obviously saw the 'Save settings' option right in front of him on
> March the 7th, and has not only completely forgotten, but also failed to
> see it again in the five days since!
>
> Along with gems such as:
>
> >"When returning after locking the screen, the interface for logging in
> >again is completely different from that for logging in normally, for no
> >apparent reason."
>
> The reason, plainly apparent to me, at least, is that unlocking an
> existing session and starting a new one are completely different
> processes - the former is not 'logging in' by any means; you've been
> logged in the whole time and possibly running useful work in hte
> background. Possibly less obvious unless you know is that both gdm and
> kdm can allow users to start new sessions while another is already
> running. It helps to have different interfaces for the two very
> different processes so that people don't accidentally start new logins
> and leave the old ones hogging resources in the background when all they
> want to do is turn the screensaver off.

> [...]

I personally think that he is spot on for most of this 69 items. Really
there is not more to say about that.

Some specific notes, only when I disagree or can think of a solution
(otherwise assume I agree with his statements):
1. I disagree with this and happen to dislike macos style of menus. I also
question there overall usablity (a bigger issue)

11. I don't completely understand his talk about incorrect capitalization.

16. Hiding something without the users input is bad usablity in my books

44. Nautilus should never present a file dialog for a cd unless it sense
data on it.

just my thoughts,

Corey

Corey