Easy way to go to hoary?

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Fri Apr 8 00:33:22 CDT 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:00:59 +0300, Jorge Bernal <koke at amedias.org> wrote:

> On 17:55, Thu 07 Apr 05, Peter Damoc wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:06:17 +0300, andrew zajac <arzajac at yahoo.ca>
>> wrote:
>> What I would realy like to see is some kind of an update program for the
>> machines that are not connected to internet.
>> In theory it should go something like this:
>> 1. install USU (Ubuntu Smart Updater)
>> 2. get status (a file gets saved)
>> 3. take that file to a "connected" machine.
>> 4. press "Create Smart update", feed in the status file and USU presents
>> me with a series of options like
>> 	1. "Keep version, security update",
>> 	2. "Keep version, add programs"
>> 	3. "Update to new version"
>> 	4. "Update to new version, add programs"
>> 5. USU creates a CD image with the needed packages
>> 6. Burn the ISO or take it on a thumbdrive, iPod, whatever.
>> 7. Go to the "isolated" machine and press "Smart update", feed in the CD
>> or provide the ISO
>> 8. Smile
>
> AFAIK, this will be done in the next release with the
> update-manager magic.
>
> 1. You insert the breezy cd-rom
> 2. update-manager tells you "There is a new release of
> Ubuntu available!" do you want to upgrade?
> 3. automagic dist-upgrade
> 4. Smile

This would be great indeed BUT it still doesn't solve the problem of a
"custom" machine. I've installed some games for my brother and upgrading
to Hoary means that those games will have to be updated too... however...
they are not in "main"... thinking about hunting those dependencies by
hand again kinda makes me not wanna update.

Peter