security policies? - Re: New DiskMonitoring package

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Tue Apr 5 16:09:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 10:38:32AM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Brian Sutherland wrote:
> root at curb:~ # /etc/init.d/smartmontools start
>   * Starting S.M.A.R.T. daemon...
>    [ ok ]

Great! With reference to the other thread, the reason this is not
started by default is because it causes very bad things with some
hardware. The debian maintainer of smartmontools is working on a
solution.

> juser at curb:~$ DISPLAY=:0.0 smart-notifier
>
> Off it goes till I hit ^C.  should I see anything, like a "I am running"
> icon up by the clock?

Nope, it just runs and waits. In the non-prototype version it should be
added to the users default session automatically. But I still have to
find out how to do this properly (if it is possible).

> Other than hittig the drive with a hammer, is there some way to generate
> some signals?

:)

Yes, the way I use is to add "-M test" to the smartd.conf, so the
relevant line should be:

DEVICESCAN -m root -M test -M exec /usr/bin/smartd-runner

then restarting smartd will generate a test message. Of course, this will
only be displayed if the user is running smart-notifier.

btw: I actually have an old failing disk which I am going to hit with
a hammer, to see what happens;)

--
Brian Sutherland

It's 10 minutes, 5 if you walk fast.