it it possible to change the default volume name on the desktop?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 5 04:06:13 CDT 2005

Hi Victor!

Victor [2005-04-05 16:29 +0800]:
> My mounted partions is shown as "3G Media, 7G Media, 46G Media", etc, on
> the desktop. What I want to do is give those name to the same as their
> device name, like "hda1", "hda2", "sda1" etc.

This was the naming scheme used in Warty. However, this is even more
confusing for novice users, so gnome-vfs now changed the names.

> I know I can manual change the filesystem label to achive that. But I
> want to know whether there is a way to do that automatic.

Not right now. You really have to label your USB devices and hard disk
partitions to get better names. I doubt that there will be another
method in the future, partition labels are exactly for this purpose
after all.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt               http://www.piware.de