hplip in hoary?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 3 14:11:11 CDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 12:43:45PM -0400, robmoore wrote:

> I tried to install hplip and noticed it conflicts with hpjis and
> installing it will effectively remove ubuntu-desktop. I'm not sure what
> the best way is to resolve this issue -- it there any way to have an
> 'either/or' dependency in apt?

hplip is incompatible with the version of hpijs in Hoary.  It is provided in
universe for people who would like to experiment with it, but the tools in
main are the currently supported solution.

After the release, we'll update to a newer version of hpijs, and they will
no longer conflict.  It looks like hplip may obsolete hpoj, and perhaps it
will be possible to make it part of the standard desktop, so that HP
multi-function peripherals work "out of the box" in Breezy.

--
 - mdz