Hoary installation report on Sony VGN-S3XP

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Fri Apr 1 01:17:49 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 12:48 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:20:44PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > my new Vaio arrived today so after backing up recovery partion I
> > inserted Hoary install CD.
>
> Which version?  Hoary has not been released yet, so there are several
> pre-release versions (a new one every day, in fact).

It was hoary-rc-install-i386.iso from March 30.

[...]
Will fill the bugs.

> > * ipw2200 driver is unable to load firmware.  this is upstream issue,
> > because even newer driver (1.0.2) has same problem, error message is:
> > ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.19
> > ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
> > ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:06:0b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
> > ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
> > ipw2200: Unable to load ucode
> > ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFEA
> > ipw2200: failed to register network device
> > ipw2200: probe of 0000:06:0b.0 failed with error -5
>
> This is working fine here.  The error being received is EINVAL ("Invalid
> argument").

Strange, it's working fine here now also.  Maybe the device got into
some strange state yesterday during booting to Windows and back or
whatever...

> Is this a completely default install, or did you make changes to it?  In
> particular, are you using the default kernel?

It is default install.

> > * sound doesn't work at all, according to some page[1] found on internet
> > you need latest alsa drivers (even those in 2.6.11.x doesn't work)
> > 1. http://vip-net.org/gentoo_sony_vaio_s3xp.txt
>
> We'll be updating the ALSA subsystem after the Hoary release.

Sure, I am fine with that and I didn't expected anything else :-).

> > * there are some strange messages during boot, some of them are related
> > to the fact, that notebook has SATA and DVD+-RW is hda...
>
> Can you be more specific?

Some stuff about block device not supporting command also disappeared.
But some other stuff still remain, on boot it prints:

ata2: disabling port

and then there is message after: "* Creating initial device nodes...":
null symbol found

I am attaching kern.log.gz

Ondrej.
--