Fwd: Re: Ubuntu IA64 Port Project

T Simonnet tsimonnet at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 06:12:49 CDT 2004

Hi,

As one of the Gelato members (www.gelato.org), I will
go next week to the Gelato Council in Beijing. My work
for the federation is to develop enterprise's
relationships.

To develop a real enterprise platform, we need to work
on a stable and reliable distribution.

Thibaut has done a very good evaluation of
IA64-distributions market.

Today, there is no real free IA64 distribution for a
corporate usage.

I think Ubuntu is an eligible candidate. Here is a
copy of Michel Benard's (HP University Relations
manager) last mail to me :

------------------------------
Hi Thierry,

This proposal [porting Ubuntu to IA64] looks very
good. I think the next step is to discuss it in
Beijing with some key partners to associate to your
team for support
and
manpower.

Among the people you should talk with:

	- Brian Lynn, Steve Geary (HP)
	- Mark Smith, Wen-mei (UIUC)
	- Bob Kuhn (Intel)
	- Lennart Johnson (KTH and Uni Houston)

Regards
Michel

Michel BENARD
HP University Relations

I will present Ubuntu during a formal conference and I
think this project will gain additinal members.

I hope this mail will demonstrate our involvement.

Best regards

Thierry Simonnet