Samba WIzard/Windows Network Wizard

Ethan King ferrill at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:17:20 CDT 2004

After having spent the greater portion of the past two days trying to
get Samba set up correctly it occurs to me that Ubuntu and Linux in
general could greatly benefit from a tool that allows for the easy
integration of Ubuntu into a Microsoft Windows network.

A wizard like program that allowed for the easy configuration of 3 or
4 of the basic network situations.  For example probably one of the
most common network situations would be a home or small office lan.
Where the Linux computer would be able to see all of the shares on the
local network and would be able to in turn share folders and printers
to any computer on the local network.

In order for this to be reasonably easy there should be an integrated
way to share folders or printers.  For example if I have a folder in
my home directory called "music" it would be nice to be able to right
click on the folder and share it with either everyone, only people on
the lan, or a specific user.  It should also be possible to right
click on a printer and share it so other people on the network could
print to it.

There does not currently appear to be anything like this available in
Linux and I think it would be a feature that would really set Ubuntu
apart from other distributions.