gftp -> Supported + cool desktop todo item [Was: Isn't gFTP deprecated?]

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Tue Sep 21 22:15:39 CDT 2004

[...]
> The only thing I'd suggest here is a better interface for adding a new
> network place. We used to have a Windows-style icon in the network://
> location, but now it's just in the File menu of Nautilus windows.

Are you guys considering to use gnome-control-center (with --use-shell,
preferably) to organize user configuring apps? I think this would be a
nice place to put a small program that just handle that. IMHO gnome-
control-center is a very efficient UI to organize the user preferences
in a nice way and don't suffer the problems of a Applications + Computer
menu. Lot of people complain about the organization of gnome preferences
apps and I agree with them. The list of configuration apps is long and
it takes some effort to find the one you should need. It makes more
sense to categorize them in specific areas, but keeping the current
implementation and using submenus just seems wrong to me (have anybody
used a new version of mandrake?). Gnome-control-center seems to a have
perfectly decent way to quickly/easyly categorize stuff, but it's not
used since gnome folks prefer to put all configuration apps in the same
bag. I'll check how easly one can hack gnome-control-center, whithout
touching the source (I'm not a C programmer!). And as new configuration
UI comes up, the current desing will one day became unmatainable...

-Fabio