OSS drivers

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Sun Oct 31 19:32:39 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:02:18PM EST, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> The OSS drivers have been blacklisted in hotplug for all of Ubuntu's
> existence, and there have been various problems caused by them being
> unintentionally loaded (e.g., by discover, or by a user following some
> outdated documentation).
>
> Is there any reason to continue to build them at all?

I believe so. There are still sound cards out there that work better
with the OSS drivers than they do the ALSA drivers, and some cards that
don't even work with ALSA at all. On the other hand some drivers do get
loaded when they shouldn't, for example the USB audio driver. This I
have seen several times.

OSS emulation from ALSA is still known to be rather problematic, going
by what I have seen on the alsa development and user mailing lists in
the psat months. Things may have changed now though.

Luke