What should a correct Hoary souces.list look like?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Oct 29 12:06:19 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 07:35:52AM -0500, John Hornbeck wrote:

> I am about to make a howto for starting to use hoary.  I would like to
> see what a fresh hoary sources.list would look like, I have a ton of
> crap in mine and don't want to try to sort it out due to fear of messing
> myself up. :-)  So if someone could post what it would look like.

If you do this, please ensure that it includes appropriate language (as in
the Hoary announcement I sent out) which clearly warns users about what they
are going to do.

If you are going to lower the barrier to entry for Hoary, it is essential
that the uninitiated know exactly what they are signing up for.

A fresh hoary sources.list from a hypothetical fresh hoary install would
look something like this:

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the network
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
# deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
# deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted

i.e., exactly the same as the Warty one, with the string 'warty' replaced
with 'hoary'.

--
 - mdz