Personal vision of futur firewall

David Allouche david at canonical.com
Fri Oct 8 16:07:56 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 22:14 +0200, VETSEL Patrice wrote:
> Here are screenshots of my vision of a user gui for shorewall.
> These are the "basic" views.

I had a quick look at your screenshots, and they do not quite feel right
to me. Everything should not be a tab.

For example, the "General" tab features a pair of start/stop buttons,
which are probably going to be very commonly used, and a "external
interface" selector which is probably going to be used only once.
Following the rule that GUI component should be easy to access in
proportion to how often they are used, star/stop should be menu and
toolbar items, while the interface selection should be in a settings
dialog.

Also, the UPPERCASE menu items and the odd mix of English and French are
a no-no.

I suggest you have a look at Firestarter, which is the closest thing I
have found to a no-nonsense GUI for simple firewalls.

Maybe you should also familiarise yourself with GUI design principles. I
was raised with a Mac, so my reference is still the Apple User Interface
Guidelines (available on the web). If you write an Ubuntu application,
you should also keep the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines under your
pillow.

Regards.
--
                                                            -- ddaa