Thought about speeding up startup...

a-aa a-aa at hollowtube.mine.nu
Fri Oct 22 05:51:06 CDT 2004

I'm personally a huge fan of starting gdm before a lot of other things.

I had gentoo on my laptop before ubuntu, and tricks I used there was
starting gdm much earlier, before hotplug for example, I started hotplug
right after gdm (both in background) and if I was really quick I'd be
unable to move the usb mouse for about a second before hotplug found and
loaded it).
There's of course the problem of something crashing, but there could be
a debug/verbose boot option?  That disables loading gdm earlier, and
parallel booting.

You might find http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131142 interesting.
Goes into parallel boot (starting multiple services at once).
Looks into some rediculus other methods ;)
And looks a bit at readahead that redhat uses.

Either way a lot of the boot services are either heavy on io or cpu,
starting them simultaniusly cuts boot time a lot.

Note, mail'ed at 3:10am, so if it doesn't make sense I'll try to clean
it up tomorrow ;)