I don't think that a wiki page for HardwareSupport is that a good idea

Darren Critchley darrenc at telus.net
Thu Oct 21 09:29:05 CDT 2004

Ben Edwards wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:46:23 -0400, Kevin Mulligan
><kevin at teamindecisive.com> wrote:
>

>>I disagree. I think the Wiki does a fine job listing the hardware in this
>>case. I consider myself a normal user, very newb, don't know commands in
>>Linux, use Windows, etc. To figure out the Wiki all you have to do is look
>>up how to do it (Google or in the HelpContents), or look at the previous
>>example of someone else doing it. I found it very easy to figure out in one
>>or two tries. Yes, another system would be nice, but this one works pretty
>>well too.
>>

>Normal for a Linux User maybe but to get Linux out of the Teche Getto
>we need to make things as simple as possible for people.  I think you
>will find the average Desktop/Windows user is fairly intimidated by
>Wiki.  I find all the || rather confusing.  I would rather fill in a
>form and press submit any day.
>
>The other problem with Wiki is that is it not possible validate the
>data - making it very easy to have inconsistencies.  I seem to
>remember we already have some, i.e. DLink or D-Link.
>
>Hope I have not upset anybody, I have previously been on the user list
>and over there the idea that things should be as easy as possible
>tends to get a great deal of support - I'me mainly on this list cos
>its where documentation is being discussed.

I definitely agree with you, many open source projects have the
documentation written by experts who take too much for granted. I think
all documentation, help, how to's, etc should be written with the target
audience being newcomers. For people who have the knowledge, that is a
hard lesson to learn, I had to learn this myself when I wrote several
how to's on various vpn connections to a firewall project I work on, you
cannot take anything for granted, even setting file permissions has to
be explained.

Darren