Are there plans to let hald use fstab-sync to add all the partitions to /etc/fstab (vfat, ntfs etc) ?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Thu Oct 21 02:39:04 CDT 2004

Hi!

Matt Zimmerman [2004-10-20 18:58 -0700]:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:59:19AM +0200, Kristof Vansant wrote:
>
> > Are there plans to let hald use fstab-sync to add all the partitions
> > to /etc/fstab (/media) (vfat,ntfs etc) ? This would make our lives a lot
> > easier :)
>
> I think I would prefer to address this through gnome-volume-manager or
> something like it; this way we could handle fixed and removable devices
> through the same mechanisms, and continue to leave /etc/fstab firmly under
> the sysadmin's control.

I would prefer this as well, but this requires a policy change in
pmount: by now we forbid mounting partitions on fixed disks.

I could easily change that in pmount, but I would prefer a thorough
discussion about the implications and drawbacks before.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org