A few startup problems

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Wed Oct 13 13:12:51 CDT 2004

1. I have formated my root partition as reiserfs, and now during boot-up
I get VFS error cannot find ext3 file system on sda1 right before
services begin to start. I understand that ext3 is the default, but
since installer seems to support alternative file systems, I think this
error shouldn't come up.

2. PCI hotplug modules generate a lot of error messages while loading on
both my systems. I was under the impression, that ubuntu was a more of a
desktop oriented system, and PCI hotplug is more of a server technology,
should these modules be blacklisted in hotplug blacklist file?

3. For whatever reason, udev/hotplug doesn't auto-load nvidia module,
although I have a rather simple nVidia FX 5200 Ultra. I added it
to /etc/modules, but I think that shouldn't be a necessary step.

4. There is a discrepancy in NTP time synchronization support. By
default ntpdate is run on startup to synchronize the clock to a server
specified in /etc/default/ntpdate. The GNOME GUI interface however wants
NTP daemon to be running and reconfigures the /etc/ntp.conf (I think)
which is not installed by default.

Thank you. I will be looking for more interesting things. BTW, I saw
splash flag in the grub config file, but there are no splash related
utilities anywhere, the usplash is listed on Wiki as being part of
Warty, but obviously it is not making it, is splash gonna be a part of
Hoary?