bug in dh_make or something I did ? Weird problem :s

Adam D. Barratt lists+ubuntu-devel at adam-barratt.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 15:37:56 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 21:08, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> bug in dh_make or something I did ? I want to learn making deb files so
> plz help. :)
[...]
> dh_make -e kristof.vansant at pandora.be -f ../drivel-1.2.1.tar.bz2
>
> drivel_1.2.1.orig.tar.gz is created (but uses bz2 compression)
>
> result: dpkg-source will faill because it tries to unpack the file with
> gzip while it uses bz2.

If it's a bug in dh_make at all, then it's a documentation bug.
dpkg-source and the Debian archive management scripts expect original
source trees to be in .tar.gz format (specifically as
<package>_<version>.orig.tar.gz), and don't support other archive
formats such as bz2.

The simplest solution is to unpack the bz2 and create a .tar.gz of the
resulting source tree.

Regards,

Adam