GPL'd Flash Library

Martin Alderson martinalderson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:19:42 CDT 2004

I'll go through your points so far:

1) 700KB is tiny. Sorry, but even for a 56k modem its less than a
couple of minutes.

2) I don't think useless is the right word. It takes me 20 seconds to
download and install, so that's fine by me.

3) No it's not! This is what kills Linux. Half working stuff _is not
good enough_. Especially when the user thinks it's fully working!!!
The average user will have absolutley no idea what is wrong. This is
like me installing something that looks exactly like the Linux kernel,
when infact it's something completely different that only works 10% of
the time.

4) ppc + solaris is probably, what? 2% of the total installed base.
Maybe a little more. Certainly not worth bothering the 98%.

5) This is just getting stupid. 700kb is 'wasted space'? No it's not.
It also lets some user install flash, some not - for security, content
restriction - whatever. Make bloody sym-links if you care that much
about 700 KB.

6) Most users really don't care about philosophy past "it's free and I
can get the source". Most people would prefer flash that _works_.

Unless you have an idea on how we alert users that they are using a
crippled version of flash that doesn't work enough to get more than
10% of pages working, without being annoying, then please go ahead.

Sorry if I'm getting annoyed, but this is what has kept Linux off the
desktop so much so far. Non-working stuff that is implemented for
philosophical resoning. Fedora is pretty much useless to anyone
non-technical, now. It doesn't have mp3 plugins and other vital stuff.

Not including flash is a non-issue. It doesn't stop ubuntu being
redistrubutable, and it certainly doesn't create any problems apart
from philosophy-over-working-stuff zealots.

Martin

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:44:54 -0400, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> See points 1, 2, 4, and 6.  Macromedia's flash player does not support
> any Arch other than 32bit x86, cannot be installed onto or distributed
> with a live CD, is slow over dial-up, and doesn't fit with Ubuntu's
> philosophy.  Of course there are more reasons, those are just the ones
> that counteract your point.
>
> --tim
>

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:39:46 +0100, Martin Alderson
> <martinalderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't agree sadly. I can't see the point of a highly broken flash
> > player, when the whole point of flash is that it just works. Not only
> > that, as soon as you hit a flash object in Firefox 1.0PR and above it
> > will install flash player for you, the fully working version.
> >

> > --

Get Firefox - Popup blocking, tabbed browsing and great security: