Lessons from XP

Thomas Hood jdthood at aglu.demon.nl
Thu Oct 7 05:06:50 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:19, Daniel Stone wrote:
> However, there was one thing I did like about their networking: roaming
> profiles.  I've been messing with the idea for a while, and got a
> half-arsed Python script together a while ago that I've since lots.
> Simply put, you tell it where you are, and you can specify everything
> there: the wireless network to stick to,

Take a look at waproamd.

>  IPs,

Install ifupdown and create profiles in /etc/network/interfaces
with different addresses.

>  DNS,

Install resolvconf and add "dns-nameservers" lines to the profiles in
/etc/network/interfaces.

> proxy/VPN settings,

You can do this with "up" and "down" scripts in /etc/network/interfaces.
Not very convenient, I admit.

> everything.

Some other Debian packages do, as resolvconf does, put scripts in
/etc/network/if-up.d/ and /etc/network/if-down.d/ which make use of
options set in /etc/network/interfaces.  Hopefully the number of such
packages will increase in the future.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood at aglu.demon.nl>