d-i presseding

Scott Dier dieman at ringworld.org
Fri Oct 1 09:31:38 CDT 2004

I could definately wait until post warty for this.  I would most likely
make up either my own repository or netinst cd when this was implemented
and use it with warty.

Until then I'm going to kludge in something so we can keep on making
installs happen on our end.  I've not had great experiences with image
based installers, and based on other local experience FAI isn't what I'm
looking for.  I didn't want to extend autoinstall for 2.6 kernels
either.

I'm probally going to start staring at d-i and see if I can't just get
some of the questions preset from the boot environment and modify the
default partitioning questions to do what I want.

Personally, anything I can do to make installs easier is worth it to me,
I've got 300+ machines to install with more coming in every day.  Some
of them are labs of 40 machines that I need to do in one day, but the
majority of the installs are single machines with different hardware
situations nearly every time -- using the same kernel as the
distribution is fairly important to me so that hardware support is a
unified battle.  I think I'll revisit using images when I need to
reinstall the labs, though.

Thank you for letting me know so far.

* Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at canonical.com> [041001 09:05]:

--