Accessibility Team

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Fri Oct 8 06:09:07 CDT 2004

On 8 Oct 2004, at 11:43, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> First, sorry for the long email to the list. Despite what it looks
> like, the following is not a rant :) It's just that these issues do
> often require some background.

No apology necessary - in fact it's emails like this that make me glad
to be involved in Ubuntu.

> I don't want to advocate any major changes for Warty, not even
> changing default options. I'm developing more detailed description of
> my ideas in the wiki under 'Ideas for Hoary'. I absolutely agree that
> these features should not be a nuisance for the general public, as
> that would only make the whole feature set generally unpopular. So, I
> certainly would not want them to be turned on by default either.
> Personally, I use only the sticky-keys, and would also be annoyed if
> other features were started by default.

There's a'MyUbuntu' page on the wiki:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MyUbuntu
I'd very much like to read about how you use Ubuntu, what software you
need, difficulties etc. I hope that others will contribute such 'case
studies' as well.

<snip>

> True, these utilities may only be needed by 1% of the population,

To be pedantic: 1% of the population is a very large number of people

<snip>

> I also want to briefly comment on your idea of creating an 'Accessible
> Ubuntu Derivative'. I don't think that is necessary or even desirable.
> We can create a distro that is highly accessible in its standard
> edition, without being in anyone else's way. Derivative versions are
> extra work to maintain, and also sends out the wrong message. With the
> stated goals for Ubuntu of being highly accessible, this should
> clearly be a part of the standard version. Derivative version would
> tend to be delayed or inferior in other ways compared with the
> standard one. 'Separate but equal' will never really be equal, as
> history has shown. This is a common theme regarding disability issues
> generally, such as physical accessibility. It is always better to make
> public transport and buildings generally accessible that to provide
> custom solutions, because they never work as well. A custom wheelchair
> lift will never be as reliable as one made for general use, and will
> take much longer to fix when it breaks, etc. With software, adhering
> to this principle is relatively easy in comparison with providing
> public transport in London, say.

Very good point. I think there might be a problem with Ubuntu, where a
number of stated aims clash - namely, to keep Ubuntu down to one cd,
yet have fully a full suite of software, not just access apps, but also
a full range of languages and fonts, perhaps a lighter desktop for
older hardware, a server (as opposed to desktop) version, etc.

Does Ubuntu have a policy on derivative versions? The question of a
light, feather-ubuntu and / or a server version has been raised on the
users mailing list.

> Thanks, for reading this far. I plan to do a solid job with the Ubuntu
> Accessibility Team, but I also intend not to be a pain to others, be
> they users or developers. Some years ago I myself had no knowledge of
> or interest in these issues, so I can appreciate that point of view as
> well. If any of the suggestions I make cause problems or annoyance for
> other user groups, newbies, power-users or developers, I'd like to
> hear about it, because a solution suitable for everyone can usually be
> found.
>
> - Henrik

Thanks for the intelligent, reasoned and very interesting email,

John