emacs in default selection ?

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Thu Oct 7 00:50:41 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:56 +1000, Jordan Wightman wrote:
> >>Why two console editors? Why not just link vi to nano?
> >

> > Owwwwwwwwwwww! My head would EXPLODE. People who type 'vi' know what
> > they want.
>
> True. I've been on a box where this happened and it took me a couple of
> hours before my brain unfroze.
>
> Cheers,
> Jordan

Yeah I understand. Actually I got used to type vi because it was my 1st
unix editor. Now I saw the light and I'm completely sick of it :-) but I
just don't keep from vi'ing the files under /etc. The solution that
worked for me was symlinking vi to a sane editor (mcedit, in the case).

Seriously now. I suggest using the symlink because people expect vi to
be installed in all unix systems, either they like it or not. So if
we're not going to ship any vi, it should be at least an alias to the
default editor in Ubuntu, and that should be something one can use
without reading the man pages to make the most simple tasks (like
quitting the editor!). I don't want to flame, but vim, as powerful as it
can be, has an UI that simply sucks. If the user installs vim it will
override this setting and bring her the real thing.

But we're talking about less than 1.5mb installed size, so it's no big
deal to ship vim and plus easy to use editor which probably should be
nano (althogh mcedit is much better!).

Talking about console tools, why w3m over elinks?

-Fabio