Consider disabling middlemouse.contentLoadURL by default

George Farris george at gmsys.com
Tue Oct 5 22:28:23 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 03:08, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Jason Pearce
>
> | Disabling middlemouse.contentLoadURL brings the
> | interface more in line with what new users will
> | expect. It is easy to enable for the advanced users
> | that do want it enabled and impossible to disable for
> | the simple users that will find it troubling.
>
> I disagree, I'm a fairly advanced user, but as Firefox evidently has
> lots of undocumented configuration options, I'm usually at a loss on
> how to actually get Firefox to do what I want.  The about:config URL
> was something I heard about in this thread.
>
> Yes, it might possibly be a bit surprising to new users the first
> time, but if you don't have it enabled, they probably won't ever
> discover the feature.

I think a nice piece of software for Hoary or beyond would be an
advanced config wizard that would lead a curious user through some
questions such as:

Firefox
- Would you like to have middle click in Firefox
- Would you like smart scroll
- Would you like type ahead find
Gnome Desktop
- Would you like spacial or browser mode (not sure we should include
this one but)
- Would you like more than 4 desktops
- Would you like shade or maximize in the window manager.
etc, etc

Of course it would have a large "Reset all features" button:-)

It would only be an app that the adventuresome would run but it would
expose a large group of features that most people might not know about.

Don't know exactly how one would do this but without making it a
usability nightmare but.

<flame shield on>

--
George Farris <george at gmsys.com>