Consider disabling middlemouse.contentLoadURL by default

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at raw.no
Tue Oct 5 13:05:25 CDT 2004

* Jason Pearce

| To be sure that we're all on the same page. This is not middle clicking
| to open a link in a new tab.

ok, good.  That helps a fair bit.

| The difference to me is that middle clicking to open a link in a tab is
| enabled _and_ doesn't get in the way of someone exploring the browser
| interface or using it for the first time. The same _cannot_ be said of
| middle clicking where there is no link to open a page in the current
| tab using the select buffer as the URL. middlemouse.contentLoadURL gets
| in the way of someone using the browser if they don't understand or
| don't like the feature.

I'm sorry, but that's like saying right-clicking gets in the way of
exploring the user interface.  If you right-click, something else
should happen than if you left click.  If you middle-click, something
else than left-clicking happens.

| For instance, I did not realise that I could middle click a tab to
| close it. That is awesome. I will use that tho improve my browsing
| experience every time I use Firefox. However, before I understood the
| feature, it never got in my way. It was unobtrusive. It was seemlessly
| integrated. That is a good feature to have enabled by default. It
| doesn't change the interface paradigm and it doesn't get in the way.

I really don't see why  middle-clicking a tab and it disappearing is
any more obvious that you middle-clicking a page and it turning into
something else.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-