Warty's Firefox has an "Important Security Update" available

Jason Pearce jason_pearce at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 00:02:38 CDT 2004

Update is detailed here:
http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-10-01-02.html

This does bring up an interesting issue though.
Firefox isn't able to install its own updates on
Ubuntu or on most any linux system when a user is
running Firefox I would imagine. I am of course
running on the assumptin that Firefox wants to update
it's executable files (correct me if I'm wrong).

To work this would either require the Firefox browser
to be run as root or to be sudo savvy. Either way the
feature is questionable on any linux system since it
very likely wants to update files that should only be
touched by the OS package manager. Should this feature
be compiled out? Or maybe just disabled by default?

-Jason Pearce