autotools (Re: Accepted gnome-system-monitor 2.7.0-0ubuntu6 (source))

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Fri Oct 1 20:54:02 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 12:36:52PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:40:01PM +0100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >    * Add autotools-dev to Build-Deps, only ever patch configure.in rather than
> >      configure.
>
> Once we get around to having Ubuntu packaging guidelines, this is going to
> be officially deprecated.  The right thing to do is to run the autotools
> when building the source, not when building the binaries.  If the packaging
> tools make this inconvenient, then we'll fix the packaging tools.
>
> Meanwhile, please avoid running autoconf at build time.

Hooray for CDBS.

Essentially, there were a couple of FTBFS's because patches failed to
apply -> configure was seemingly run randomly.  After I switched to this
tack (which I didn't like, FWIW), CDBS stopped rebuilding configure for
me; go figure.

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>