Idea for expanded support of some non-free software

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Mon Nov 29 21:42:37 CST 2004

<quote who="thully at umich.edu">

> I know Ubuntu's mission is to support free software, but there are some
> instances when non-free software is the only option.

Where non-free software is legally redistributable, it may be packaged and
distributed through our unsupported multiverse repository. However, much of
the software you've mentioned is *not* legally redistributable, however much
we paper over the basic issue of it being non-free and unsupportable. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

    "Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning
   without doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning
    is all too often the way things are done in proprietary software." -
                                Raph Levien