Some critics about Ubuntu / New Installing

David Walker dave at mudsite.com
Mon Nov 29 13:22:20 CST 2004

On 11/29/04 1:54 PM, "Nikolai Prokoschenko" <nikolai at prokoschenko.de> wrote:

> The installer _has_ actually been designed from scratch. It's called the
> Debian Installer and is pretty modular. It _will_ have a graphical
> installer at some point of time - it would be just a frontend, like the
> text-based is now. While integrating Anaconda would take much more time
> than getting a gtk+-fb-gui to the d-i.

Anaconda was an example of what is out there.  Sure I don't think we should
use it.  I worked with anaconda for a while and despised it, but it does the
job.  Something like gtk+-fb would probably work with the FB, and never
looking over d-i I don't know how that would work.

> It's friendly enough I think. It's all about taste and what your
> definition of "friendly" is. And I won't refer to the famous quote about
> Linux being user-friendly ;)

Curses is easy to use but not "friendly" as in a smooth, jazzed up,
"friendly", shiny, GUI installer would be.

--
dave