Kernel questions

Nikolai Prokoschenko nikolai at prokoschenko.de
Mon Nov 29 13:02:27 CST 2004

Hello!

I'm new to Ubuntu, so don't hit me too hard ;)

I'd like to know what the Ubuntu Linux kernel is supposed to be. I
understand that it's derived from the Debian kernel with some patches
merged (mostly firmware). I guess the patch merging part is why 2.6.9 is
still not in Ubuntu while already in Debian Sid.

However, what else does Ubuntu patch into the kernel, or willing to,
considering the project goals? Myself, as an Asus S5200 notebook user
without working ACPI out-of-the-box, would like to see the current
acpi-branch merged with the kernel, as it is known to solve some issues,
maybe the current -ac or -mm branch? -mm would be logical, since Ubuntu
wants to be present on the Desktop. Are such steps planned or is it more
likely to never happen?

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai at prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik at jabber.org