sudo security concerns ?

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 15:37:05 CST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:08:45 -0800, Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 13:35 +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> >
> > sudo with a timeout /in general/ leaves that bridge open for only as
> > long as the timeout
That bridge is further restricted to a "terminal" .

> > , whereas sudo with a zero timeout tends to make
> > people leave a bridge there full-time.
>
> At the very least, this issue should be documented in the manuals.  Warn
> users not to do that.  Explain the possibility, tell them not to do
> that.

Which manual ?  I do not think anyone is working on "that" manual yet
-- though how is it different from detailed information on sudo .
Please do not put it in the general user's guide as it is distracting
and extraneous for most people .

> This situation with Sudo looks to me like a relatively easy
> target to hit...
Easy to you who has made it clear that you do not know much about sudo ?!

If you want a locked down Linux choose a distro that specializes in
that , but the current available distributions are not "accessible" to
many people .

Everything is a balancing act between many factors including security
and usability .  I am sure everyone would be excited by you designing
solutions that balance the security and usability concerns as well as
considering the huge number of other factors .

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd