Ubuntu derivatives : howto ?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 26 15:29:23 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:29 +0000, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Wow! < 200MB is a nice size even with OpenOffice etc included.

Yes.  I have a USB thumb drive that I'd like to put it on for a rescue
system.

Have you seen http://www.sysresccd.org/ ?  It's quite useful, especially
with 'qtparted' on it, since that allows resizing of Windows XP file
systems, allowing one to make room to install Linux on the freed space.

 1) boot to XP
 2) run defrag
 3) boot to rescue cd in framebuffer mode
 4) run_qtparted
 5) shrink the NTFS partition, leaving unallocated free space
 6) boot the Linux install media and have it used the free space.

It would be most awesome to put the libntfs interface into libparted,
and then extend the d-i partman to allow it to resize NTFS natively.

A live CD rescue environment is certainly a very useful tool.  And even
more so if it can be booted from a USB key, since not all machines have
a CD in them, perhaps.  It would be really amazing if the same key could
boot the installer system somehow, even if it's a total netinst, pulling
all packages, including base, from the network.

--
    Karl Hegbloom
(o_  mailto:hegbloom at pdx.edu
//\   jabber:karlheg at jabber.org