Ubuntu derivatives : howto ?

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Thu Nov 25 15:41:16 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 07:44:48PM +0000, Colin Watson <cjwatson at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 04:49:00PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > - A custom list of packages
>
> Modify debootstrap-udeb for the base system. For the desktop, either
> change the packages that have "Task: ubuntu-desktop" lines in
> /dists/warty/main/binary-$ARCH/Packages* (fiddly) or modify base-config
> (lib/menu/pkgsel).

If I :
- modify ubuntu-desktop so that it depends on the "my-pkgs-list" package
- create "my-pkgs-list", and add dependancies to all the packages I need

Wouldn't it work ?

>From debian-cd's POV, it will work, since it checks for dependancies.
But if I understand the solutions you proposed correctly, the installer
doesn't handle dependancies, right ? So modifying base-config is
probably the better solution.

> > - Warty's installer can't resize Windows partitions during installation.
> >   100% of our "customers" need to resize a Windows partition before
> >   installing. And asking them to use third-party software (Knoppix,
> >   Partition Magic) is not acceptable : they are mostly computer newbies,
> >   and installing GNU/Linux is already a big enough challenge.
>
> That feature was committed to Debian too late for Warty, but it's
> already in Hoary. Hoary is unlikely to be suitable for you yet, though.
>
> You'll need to add ntfstools-udeb, and probably backport most of
> partman. Taking all the partman* packages from Hoary might well be the
> simplest approach; they should work as long as you take the lot.

How would you recommend to do this ? put them manually in the pool and
edit dists/warty/main/debian-installer/binary-i386/Packages by hand ?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll try to document the whole process when
it's over in case others need this.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net    lnu at gnu.org    GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
| jabber: lucas at linux.ensimag.fr   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net |
| fingerprint: 075D 010B 80C3 AC68 BD4F B328 DA19 6237 023B 3F4F |