iMac G5 yaboot auto-detection

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 24 08:49:38 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:19:54PM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 02:48:47PM -0500, Romeyn Prescott wrote:
> > > I just got a shipment of iMac G5 (17")  [..]  I get the yaboot prompt,
> > > but then it dumps to OF with an "invalid memory access" error.
> > Did you type 'install-power4' at the yaboot prompt? The default won't
> > work on G5 systems.
>
> Could this be detected in the bootloader and the appropriate kernel/options
> loaded automatically?
>
> Eg. Would a patch to yaboot to allow a different default command-line---
> depending on the processor---version work?

Conceivably, yes. yaboot is hairy, though, and I'm not sure I'd want to
touch that myself ... it would require an extension to the configuration
file, and I'm pretty sure upstream wouldn't take it (yaboot 1 being
feature-frozen).

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]