Should ubuntu warn it's users about security flaws in propietary software that is used a lot.

Kristof Vansant de_lupus at pandora.be
Wed Nov 24 05:44:30 CST 2004

Should ubuntu warn it's users about security flaws in proprietary
software that is used a lot but not supported by ubuntu.

A lot of users use the proprietary software Sun java VM.
So this seems like a important security flaw at the moment that can
inflict a lot of ubuntu users:

http://news.com.com/Java+flaw+could+lead+to+Windows%2C+Linux
+attacks/2100-1002_3-5464872.html?tag=nefd.top

other packages that comes to mind:

- mozilla-flash
- ati drivers
- nvidia drivers
- ..

All software that a lot of people install but can not be fixed by the
ubuntu security team because it is proprietary.

Should we warn people about flaws in them or not and how do we do that?
On the site, mailinglists, etc?

--
lupusBE (Kristof Vansant Belgium)