Cooperation with Debian

Jérôme Marant jmarant at nerim.net
Sun Nov 21 09:59:48 CST 2004

(Please CC me on reply, I'm not subscribed)

Hi,

By chance, I recently noticed the following entry in October's changes

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Changes:
 emacs21 (21.3+1-8ubuntu2) hoary; urgency=low
 .
   * Remove fix-insecure-permissions-on-restore.dpatch, Debian took this
     and renamed it to remote-files-permissions.dpatch

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

which is fallacious because, as the originator of the patch, I got it
directly from Tramp people as soon as it got commited.
This changelog entry tends to make Ubuntu users think that Debian
silently stole the patch without giving any credits.

Anyway, the goal of my message is neither to whine not to flame.

For me, this is just an example of effort duplication which could
be avoided if we could better cooperate.

So, how can we improve our cooperation? What's wrong with Debian
maintainership of a such package that lead to effort duplication?
What are Ubuntu's priorities?
As emacs21 comaintainer and potential Ubuntu user, I'm ready to
help on emacs21 maintainership (as well as emacs stuff in
general) if necessary.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

--