Ubuntu derivatives : howto ?

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Nov 22 12:21:41 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:34:06AM -0800, Lloyd D Budd <foolswisdom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Warty's installer can't resize Windows partitions during installation.
> >   100% of our "customers" need to resize a Windows partition before
> >   installing. And asking them to use third-party software (Knoppix,
> >   Partition Magic) is not acceptable : they are mostly computer newbies,
> >   and installing GNU/Linux is already a big enough challenge.
>
> Working in getting the required functionality integrated into Ubuntu
> seems like a good approach to this one .

It doesn't remove the need to understand how to build custom ISOs.

But getting the Windows partition resizing into Ubuntu is easy : just
backport the changes from Debian's installer, which does it. It'll
probably be included in hoary. Problem is, doing Mandrake's QA work
until hoary looks like Hell to me.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net    lnu at gnu.org    GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |
| jabber: lucas at linux.ensimag.fr   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net |
| fingerprint: 075D 010B 80C3 AC68 BD4F B328 DA19 6237 023B 3F4F |