Wouldn't it be interesting to make ubuntu more interresting for companies by creating ubuntu-workstation

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 00:17:35 CST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:38:04 +0200, Sivan Green <sivan at piware.de> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> >In my experience, enterprises which are restrictive about what software to
> >install, also provide pre-installed images with exactly the set of software
> >that they will support.  Is there truly a need for a "workstation" profile,
> >separate from other desktops?
> >

> Maybe we can provide some sort of "tasks" or meta package that can be
> installed from main, which would pull / remove dependencies to make
> system a {dektop|workstation|server|...} ?

I do not know about enterprise , but I would like a meta package
("ubuntu-desktop-core") that was the desktop environment minus the
userspace apps.  I am installing this for the first time and from the
net.  This would allow me to get using the environment, and then
consider installing more of the ubuntu-desktop.  This would also might
be useful in trying to isolate testing of development packages.

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd