Dropping support for Mozilla suite?

Lorenzo E. Danielsson lorenzo at aponkye.com
Fri Nov 19 10:00:06 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 14:05 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Ubuntu folks!
>
> In Tuesday's community we discussed about the future of Mozilla. The
> Mozilla foundation seems to fade out support for the legacy Mozilla
> suite (packages mozilla-browser and mozilla-mailnews) in favor of the
> splitted new FireFox and Thunderbird packages.
>
> Therefore we would like to confine our attention to the new programs
> and drop support for Mozilla in Hoary if there are no serious
> regressions.
>
> So we have a question to the community: are there any advantages that
> you see for Mozilla that FireFox/Thunderbird do not have? Would you
> seriously miss Mozilla if we dropped support for it?

Of course I would, but that's because I still feel some form of
emotional attachment to it. I stopped using Mozilla quite a while ago. I
prefer Epiphany, but use Firefox atm, since Ephiphany 1.5.1 (current
Hoary) has some mouse-related issues. Can't comment on Thunderbird vs.
Mozilla Mail since I don't use them.

I'm all for having just one supported browser. I just wish it was the
Gnome default one..

++Lorenzo;