Feature request: browsing filesystem in gnome "computer" menu

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Wed Nov 17 01:50:06 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:51:25 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at canonical.com> wrote:

> <quote who="Eric Feliksik">
>
>> Because of spatial nautilus, browsing deep directory structures can fill
>> the screen very fast. I know it can be turned off, and I know I can
>> right-click and "browse" a folder as well, but...
>>
>> How about having an item in the "Computer" menu where you can browse the
>> entire filesystem, IN the menu?
>
> I was considering adding a 'Browse Filesystem' item to the System Tools menu
> (under applications). We *could* add it to the Computer menu, though it's
> pretty long already. Let's revisit this when we come back to Computer menu
> changes. :-)
>
> - Jeff

File System in the menu is a great way to add bloat
I know this is just a rant but have you noticed that most people *know* what a certain file is but often forget where they
put the file, or they put it somewhere far far away subsequently cursing the long time it takes to get to it. It happens
to me and I doubt that I'm alone.

If I would get to choose something this:
http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/
would be it. So how about it? Why not throw more money/developers at it?
OSX and Longhorn brag about a feature like this and from my point of view this really is revolutionary... it could free a
lot of people from the tyranny of the file system.

--
Peter Damoc
Hacker Wannabe