Feature request: browsing filesystem in gnome "computer" menu

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Nov 16 16:46:35 CST 2004

The title says it all.

Because of spatial nautilus, browsing deep directory structures can fill
the screen very fast. I know it can be turned off, and I know I can
right-click and "browse" a folder as well, but...

How about having an item in the "Computer" menu where you can browse the
entire filesystem, IN the menu? I have seen it before, but don't know
where. Maybe KDE or something.

I think it would be very useful. I imagine that when the user browsed
the menu all the way to /wow/this/is/a/deep/directory/stucture/ ,  one
might click the uppermost seperated option "Open in a window" (the files
and folders in 'structure/' are listed below that option) to open that
folder in a window.

Or, one might click a file to run it with the default handler.

What do you guys think? Does it already exist for gnome as an applet?
Would it make sense to include it in hoary?

Thanks,

Eric Feliksik