Wouldn't it be interesting to make ubuntu more interresting for companies by creating ubuntu-workstation

Tom von Schwerdtner tomvons at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:17:58 CST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:58:23 +0100, Christoph Haas
<email at christoph-haas.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:35:03PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > In my experience, enterprises which are restrictive about what software to
> > install, also provide pre-installed images with exactly the set of software
> > that they will support.  Is there truly a need for a "workstation" profile,
> > separate from other desktops?
>
> Probably not. But that reminds me: what about a way for a PXE bootable
> installations? Would be nice to have a kind of "installation server"
> (FTP/HTTP server or NFS share) that can install a default desktop with
> preset apt sources. That way the client could later be updated
> automatically (cron job that gets the packages from that very source)
> and even have configuration files or the list of installed packages
> being changed.

I have installed Ubuntu via PXE on my laptop a number of times without
any problems.  It is not really an out-of-the-box setup (I take some
files from the release ISO and set them up with an existing tftp
server I have) but it works very well.

Knoppix I believe has the ability to boot as a terminal server
(allowing other machines to PXE boot off of it), perhaps the Ubuntu
LiveCD could benefit from this added functionality, though I don't
know if it is really worth the effort/developer time.

Regards,
Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner