when you receive a file with xchat this is placed in ~/.xchat2 wouldn't ~/download/ be better?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Tue Nov 16 07:29:42 CST 2004

<quote who="Erik Bågfors">

> Could you explain the logic in that? Ubuntu starts with a totally clean
> desktop yet you set programs to download in the desktop?

By default, there are no 'special icons' on the desktop, but it's your space
to do with as you wish. It's also right in front of your nose, so it works
well as a temporary place for downloads, which you can move away or delete
when you're finished.

If we wanted a "no icons at all" desktop, we could just disable the Nautilus
desktop handling entirely... But that's not the objective. :-)

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu in Mataró, Spain: December 5th-18th      http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

   "Well, you know us usability folks... We like to believe that the two
    aren't mutually exclusive." - Calum Benson on power and cleanliness